road protests 2000   |   road protests (current)   |   movement links

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 00:03:45 +0100 (BST)
From: Jo Makepeace (
Subject: SchNEWS 263, Friday 16th june 2000

Registration of Common Land

Does your local community have an open space that for the last 20 years has been used for recreational activity? If so, you may be able to register it as a village green which may protect it from development. Under the Commons Registration Act 1965, any area that has been used continuously for informal recreation over the last 20 years can be registered as common land, as long as you can prove that the land is used predominately by local people, and that they have been doing this without permission, without being stopped, or seeing notices that stop them, and without being secretive about it.

The Castleton Residents' Association, Greater Manchester has recently had success in registering Cowm Top at Castleton as a green. The application was submitted after planning permission was granted for the site to be used as industrial land. The land is now common land and will be protected from development.

You need to register village greens with the local regulatory authority (council or unitary authority) who may hold an independent hearing to consider your proposal. The Open Spaces Society have published a book 'Getting Greens Registered' £6.50, and can provide help in making applications. Contact them at -

25a Bell Street, Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, RG9 2BA
tel: 01491 573535

road protests 2000   |   road protests (current)   |   movement links